March 25, 2006

PC Recovery

So my computer's having issues. A few nights ago i was listening to the Truman Show soundtrack. I wanted to update my iPod with the new tracks, so i plugged in the iPod cable to the USB port when CLICK, my laptop just shut off. No warning, no "Hey, i just downloaded an update and i have to restart." Nope. It just turned off.

I was completely thrown off and quite confused. But, being the rational person i am, i turned it back on. It gave me this message saying the power in the USB port was exceeding its allowable amount. Basically that it was surging. However, the odd part about that was the absence of anything in them (there are two USB ports on my laptop, and i had removed the iPod cable from the one). So it was telling me that something (which wasn't plugged in) was exceeding its power limits. Hmm.

I thought, "maybe it's a virus." What isn't these days? Did a virus scan. Nothing. Did another virus scan. Still nothing. Did yet another virus scan. No, i'm just kidding, i'm not that bad.

Thinking perhaps it was a virus that Mcaffy (spelling?) wasn't picking up, i decided to take a drastic step and bring the computer's system back to an earlier point in time when the problem didn't exist. Yes, i can do that. Well, a program can do that, i just push the right buttons.

"PC Recovery" is NOT the same thing as "System Restore". I figured that out three seconds too late. During its "PC Recovery", i stopped it. Now Windows won't even boot.

How then am i blogging you ask? I'm on another laptop in the house that was fortunately left by the wonderful owners of this home for me to use "just in case". Well, this is certainly "just in case".

So while i type here, my laptop (which i have yet to name...no, Tiffany, even if that name wasn't already taken, i wouldn't name it that) sits three inches away performing a self diagnostic. Kunal told me to. He's the service rep i spoke with via a Dell instant message window. It cuts down on phone bills to India (for Dell).

SO, due to a technical problem which i have drastically furthered in complexity, my laptop is down for a little while. I may not be blogging for a few weeks. Oh wait, that's no different from the way i am now. Sorry. I'll try to be better about it. Not just for you, my loyal few readers, but for myself as well. I have much to say, and much to contemplate outloud (at least outwrit).

Sigh.

I just hope i don't lose all the data (especially the 25 gigs worth of music) on the hard drive. That's my biggest worry.

She'll be okay eventually. (my laptop) SIDENOTE: All machines are female. My car, for example, is named Grace. My bass guitar is named Amy. Granted that's not a machine, but it's the same principle. :END SIDENOTE

New subject approaching.

I'll be giving up this house next Thursday. The owners will be returning on Friday from their long business-driven trip to Australia. I'm sure Pam will be happy to see her cats again. They've been very well behaved (the cats) and even repainted their own room. They wanted to go with yellow but since they're color-blind (they mistook it for a light gray), i suggested a mellow and unintrusive blue to compliment the cream carpets. They conceded, so i went out and picked up the paint for them. They're not allowed to purchase home decorating supplies. House rule, i never asked why.

I'll miss the house, but surprising even to myself, i'm not that sad. I knew the day would come, and it's not my house anyway. The cats will continue to be fed, other dwellings will requite my presence, and Kraft will still come in blue boxes. Life will continue.

I have enjoyed it though. The freedom of an entire house (a small one, but still a whole one) to myself. It's been peaceful, and moving back in with my parents for the few months prior to my exciting move to the Boston area will be nothing new to me. So, again, life will continue. The universe tends to unravel as it should. God will provide.

All that being said, i'm off to eat leftover pizza (a white spinach & bacon, or my Carne Asada from CPK [California Pizza Kitchen]), and perhaps the shrimp scampi from The Corner Pug the other night. Best freakin food i've ever eaten. I left the first bite in my mouth to let the flavors just melt onto my palate. Wow was it good. I just sat their, mesmerized by my meal. Mmmmm...

I'll be watching Zathura. I just need mindless entertainment tonight.

Wish you were here.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

the question is why are you using a PC?

March 27, 2006 3:50 PM  
Blogger Still Daddy said...

as opposed to?

March 27, 2006 4:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

macs.

March 27, 2006 7:09 PM  
Blogger Still Daddy said...

you know i prefer my Dell

March 27, 2006 10:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home