February 16, 2006

But Meaningful

Thomas Newman, "Road To Perdition" soundtrack

I may end up being late to work because of this entry, but i had a dream last night that i wanted to get out on paper (or at least this close equivilent).

It began with me talking to Corey through the window of my room. Her window, just a short distance away over a small patch of yard, faced mine (ground level). So, we were talking. It was a pleasant conversation, though i don't remember what it was about. I do remember saying to her, "Corey, i'm only five feet away from you, ya know. I thought i wasn't supposed to be close to you." I was being sarcastic because there was nothing she could do about it. It's not like we could move the houses. She didn't acknowledge the comment, and we kept talking. I had wanted to go over and sit with her, or have her come to me, but talking through the window was as far as i could get (i don't remember what kept me from doing otherwise. I guess just knowing i "wasn't allowed").

I was at a library, but it was set up like a mall. Escalators, different floors with open balconies looking out onto the whole. People were moving back and forth, like they would if they were shopping, from room to room. I had wanted to watch something on TV and needed to borrow a DVD/VCR from the kids' section. As i was unhooking it from the television in the room, sorting through the wires that belonged to it and the Nintendo 64 console (including controllers), i thought, "Do i really need this? I'll really be okay without it." So i stopped what i was doing, put it down, and started walking out.

Corey was in the library too, and i had wanted to talk to her and walk out with her but she got into an elevator and let the doors close before i could get on, giving me that "I'm not going to hold this for you" look while she stood and watched me frantically attempt getting there before it was too late. I raced down the stairs to try and catch her, but by the time i made it down to the lobby, she and the few others she was riding with had gotten off and left the building already. They were within sight, but i realized there was no catching them, so i gave up.

As i was sitting at home that night watching the Olympics, i went to my window and rang a doorbell just underneath that sounded a buzzer in her room (again, right across the small patch of yard). Apparently we had buzzers to get each others' attention. Her light went on, and she got out of bed and shuffled her way to the window, opening it with a, "What? What the heck do you want at this time of night?" look on her sleepy face. "You wanna come over and watch with me?" i asked. "Um...no, i don't think i should," she said. "Oh, come on, it's just two friends watching TV together," i argued. "Fine," she said. So, she slowly walked her pajamaed self over to my house and my room and we watched some TV together.

I woke up at that point, not sure what to make of the dream. But, i think i understand a good deal of it now that i have it written out. The window represents our IM conversations, the screen keeping me from getting any closer and hindering anything beyond casual limitations on subject matter. My desire for the TV/VCR is my huge craving for media and my "Do i really need this?" is me realizing that i'm okay without it. I'm not really sure how it fits into the grand dream itself, but i guess that's what it means. Corey's escape on the elvator is how i'm feeling about the way she's changed our friendship. She's leaving and wants to do nothing to alter that. So she let the doors close before i could get on. But i ran down the stairs to catch her, so i didn't want to give up. Then i got her to come over and watch some TV with me, even after i had just woken her up. So i'm still hopeful.

I'm sure there's more to interperet, but i really need to go.

A strange dream, but meaningful. I haven't had a good dream in a while.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home