March 27, 2006

About Chocolate Chips

At work again.

Last week i had something profound...well at least interesting, that i wanted to ponder over. I know i was going to expand on it a bit, prefaced by a short lament over (24 hours just went by; i got moved to a different area of the shop and i didn't get back here until this morning, March 28) my now nonfunctional laptop. But i can't remember what it was, so this paragraph has no merit and should probably be removed. I mean, look. Halfway through the second sentence the date changes. I could delete the whole thing and start over.

And yet it remains. Curious.

Tiffany and i were talking about chocolate chips last night. I invited the subject after offering her some. Naturally she declined as my arms do not reach as far as South Carolina. The only alternative would have been squishing them into her IM box, but i fear such an attempt would result in nothing more than chocolate smears on the screen. So i had the bag to myself. No, i didn't eat them all.

These particular chocolate chips were special. Why, thank you. I appreciate your flattery but no, it's not because they were from me (conceited anyone?). these were in the freezer.

My mom, ever since i can remember, has stored most of her chocolate chips in the freezer. She knew i'd eat them upon discovery so she would hide them. Behiind something, under something. Sometimes she'd even put them inside a container so you couldn't tell they were there. But i knew. I developed this sense for finding them mdespite her best efforts.

There was an unspoken treaty between us. Unopened bags were off limits but opened bags were fair game. At some point they were no longer hidden. I think she gave up, knowing i'd find them anyway. the funny thing is i would never go after any chocolate chips in the cupboard or pantry; only the frozen ones.

Once i went frozen, whatever that young age was, i couldn't go back. The flavor is better and lasts longer. Because they're coldl, they have a refreshinig edge to them. Let's face it, warm chocolate is good but will never be refreshing. Chocolate just doesn't have that quality (Lindt chocolates being the only exception i know of).

The best way to eat them is to bite down hard and fast so as to chip or break a tooth. That will send you to the dentist where you can choose a children's fruit-flavored toothpaste to compliment the chocolate. Or you can go adult and have a chocolate-mint aftertaste. It's your call.

Or you could let them sit in your mouth until the initial freezer-cold is gone and they're just cool. then you can bite. The smaller pieces warm and melt, covering your palette with semi-sweet seduction. Mmmm.

Try it.

Oh, Elyse, this is why i was talking about chocolate chips. I had just finished the aforementioned conversation and the bag was right in front of me. And why were you so object to cookies as a conversational topic? I mean, really. Cookies.

Ah, new topic.

Cookies.

You know what i really miss? Insert guess here. I really miss McDonald's cookies. Do you remember them? They came with a Happy Meal in a small transparent plastic bag. Each cookie was in the shape of the presently lesser-known McDonald's characters. Grimace, the Hamburgler, Mayor McCheese, those things that look like pom poms with legs, that bird with a leather pilot's hat & goggles. SIDNOTE: Remember Mac Tonight? :END SIDENOTE

Those were good cookies.

But the question i posed to Elyse was not what kind they were. She had already confessed they were chocolate chip. I was interested in their texture. I didn't care how bumpy, smooth or rough they were. SIDENOTE: If you ever get a cookie as smooth as marble countertop, don't eat it :END SIDENOTE I was interested in soft vs. crunchy. Aside from "what kind?" i think it's the biggest cookie question out there.

There are several variations

SOFT
- but fully baked
- and doughy
- but crunchy on the edge
- inside, crunchy outside
- but quasi-dry
- but break apart
- and pliable

CRUNCHY
- but quasi-moist
- and dry
- and flaky
- but solid

My personal favorite is a soft, semi pliable (but will also pull apart) oatmeal raisin cookie. Chocolate chip are good, certainly, but there's nothing quite like an oatmeal raisin.

Don't forget a glass of milk. Oh good, more options.

I go with skim.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you've really got this chocolate chip thing down to a science don't you?

you know what that makes you?

a dork.

welcome to the club! :-D

Reform update: still going strong. yay.

March 29, 2006 2:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm... why did I hide the choc. chips in the 1st place? I guess it was so you wouldn't eat them when I had to make your favorite hot fudge sauce... but it never worked, because as you said, you always found them. To my surprise, I too have found I like them better frozen (must be hereditary). No more hiding them.. just enjoy them.. we'll sneak them together now that I'm not supposed to eat them. mmmm..I miss choc. chip cookies! (warm with cold milk)...
I love you! xo Mom

April 27, 2006 12:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home