December 15, 2005

That's What I Want

John Mayer, "Quiet"

I gave Elyse some advice the other night on a guy situation. She's dating one guy, but loves another. It's a complicated story and she can tell you all about it if she so chooses. I've been thinking about some of the things i said.

I told her to play out that classic movie scene. It's come to the point where the love she feels for him is going to drive her crazy if she doesn't do something with it. So she packs up all the emotion she's been walking around with into a box, puts it in the back seat, and drives for a few hours to him. It's pouring rain when she gets to the door. He opens it up to see her soaking wet, but the look in her eyes tells him she's got bigger things to deal with. He invites her in out of the rain, but she refuses knowing it will only distract her from what she needs to do.

So there she is with her box, water dripping from her face, her eyes heavy with emotion. She begins to unload it, one item at a time. It's very important that she doesn't just dump the contents out, but goes slowly and completely through. She takes it slow, but makes sure that everything is out of the box. Then she leaves. Or, he grabs her and kisses her, or confesses his same feelings for her.

That's what i want. To be so in love and come to that conclusion so undeniably that i will drive to the ends of the continent to tell her. SIDENOTE: If she were in Boston, Manhattan, Burlington even, that would be far more convenient. But it's not about convenience, is it? :END SIDENOTE. And, at the same time, to be so in love that i do not require, or expect, a response. To stand outside the door in the pouring rain, opening my heart to a deeply vulnerable state not to take in, but to give out. To have so much love for one person that i can't contain it within the confines of my own soul. These are the things i want to be feeling out in that rain.

I'm sure i could elaborate more on this, but i've already nearly fallen asleep several times.

She's out there somewhere, right now. Maybe i know her, maybe i don't. It could even be you (with the exception of males & blood relatives).

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey adam-- I think that is very touchy and you know I think that we all want that. I remember watching Sweet Home Alabama at school with my housemates and there is that scene at the end where Reese is in the rain with the dude she has always loved and they end up together and I stated "I want a magically movie moment" and you know I still really want and long for that to happen.

I hope that you are doing well, and I do hope that we can get dinner or lunch sometime at an Indian place -- after the holidays of course -- but i would love to catch up and see how you are doing.

Take care
Sarah

December 16, 2005 3:57 PM  
Blogger Alyssa Joy Lewis said...

prrrr

January 10, 2007 12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home