November 24, 2005

Thanksgiving

Soundtrack to The Shipping News (great album). My dad loves it too, so he has the volume turned up quite a bit.

Happy Thanksgiving!

I’m blogging from the road, in case you couldn’t tell from the hint in the above. Well, I can’t really say that I’m “blogging”. I’m typing this up on my laptop to post later. My battery is pissing me off. It’s supposed to be this “longer lasting” one, but apparently I only have an hour left (and it’s fully charged). Its level is currently draining further, so I should stop complaining and start typing. One more thing: My iPod doesn’t drain that fast. Why, I could play music on that continuously for several hours before it would even be half spent. Sigh.

So my dad is driving, and for those of you who don’t live in New England, there are a couple inches of snow on the ground, including the roads. (50 minutes left). The Shipping News is a great album for the visuals around us. In the film, for those of you who have missed the experience, the main character (played by Kevin Spacey, one of my favorites) spends three quarters of the film (why use fractions when you can spell it out?) in New Foundland, which is covered in snow in several scenes. We’re certainly nowhere near New Foundland, or anywhere remotely resembling it, but the snow is the important connection.

My mom is quite nervous at this point. She hates driving in these conditions, and the fact that my dad is constantly changing lanes, with those snow mound buildups between them, is only making it worse for her. The car jerks left and right when the tires plow through them. I had a thought. If I don’t watch the road, it helps me out (yes, I’m a little nervous too). Even better is if I just trust that my dad knows what he’s doing (he’s only been driving for what, 35+ years?).

Many little things often spark a revelation, or at least a thought, about my life and the application of my surrounding environment or situation to it. (35 minutes left). I tend to over think many events, decisions, and even seemingly trivial things. I get carried away with analyzing their grander application and the implications of my choice or part in them. When God will have me change lanes or what God has planned for me and how much impact my current decision will have on it is not for me to worry about. What I need to keep my heart set on is obeying Him. If I feel that He’s pulling me in a direction, I need not look at the traffic around me or the road conditions. All I need to do is move. He’ll take care of the rest. I don’t need to look at the road, but rather to simply trust that my Father knows where He’s taking me and the best way to get me there.

Look at Israel. They spent 40 years wandering the desert because they didn’t trust that God would get them into the promised land. He lead them out of slavery in Egypt, through the bottom of the Red Sea (which was dry, mind you) and through the desert with food. And yet, after all that He had done for them, they didn’t have enough faith that He knew what He was doing. I need have faith that God will take me into the promised land. I have to let Him take the helm. (24 minutes left).

That being said, I’m off. More entries later, I hope. (More parentheses just for kicks). Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! Be thankful for your family and friends, for the things that God has provided for you and that He has provided them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home