December 14, 2005

Murder

Apparently there was a murder in Woodstock, CT, one of the most rural towns you can be in. It shocked the inhabitants of the town itself. My cousin Chelsea (who happens to be one of those inhabitants) wrote up an entry about it. (chelseaann.blogspot.com). That was the inspiration for the comment that i left her which i would like to share with you.

I agree with all of what you have said. You even stunned me at points with truths i had forgotten. Well, perhaps not forgotten, but at least set aside. What hit me the most is your referring to homicide as final. There is no changing it. What's done is done, and cannot be reversed or undone.

I also got a bit worried about your return home to that very same town.

I grieve not only for the loss of a human life, but for (s)he who carelessly ended it. That's what gets to me the most. Death is part of life; it should be not only accepted, but embraced. Things begin. Things end. But to make a conscious decision to destroy another human's life is foreign to me. To have someone in your presence and suddenly (or as heinous and unspeakable as it may be, slowly) remove their soul from this plain of existence, i cannot understand.

To comment on something else. While i agree that many have become blinded to pain, i also feel that there are many who have not. I would like to think that i have not become oblivious to the hurting masses around me. But at the same time there is so much pain that it cannot all be acknowledged or felt. To constantly be aware of, and to feel, the pain of our world would be beyond overwhelming. Sometimes we cannot bear another moment of it and must let it go. But that doesn't make our hearts caliced. Rather, to be conscious of so much makes them stronger.

Do not lose hope.

As Lemony Snicket (at least the narration in the film) said, "At times the world can be a dark and sinister place. But I can assure you there is much more good in it than bad."

1 Comments:

Blogger Chelsea said...

Thank you for your comments Adam. I do agree with what you said. I also agree and want to clarify that not everyone is blinded to the pain. By that I simply meant that there are many, many places that have not experienced pain, and therefore cannot comprehend its force. I don't think that everyone is this way. I also agree with what you said about there being so much pain, it would be impossible to take it all in. This is also true. Perhaps I shouldn't have made such a blanket statement like I did. I do think a lot of times, though, that people take the pain that they see or experience, and hide it. They ball it up inside and hide behind the facade of "I'm only one person, what could I do."

Pain and loss is such a hard thing to deal with. I am finding it hard to bring into reality even after writing what I did. It is hard for me to comprehend something like this happening in my hometown. I am one of those that had their eyes reopened to the horrors of homocide. It has always been something that is seen from a distance on television and other forms of media. It just hit home for me when it happened so close. Tragedy is hard, and I am finding that it is really challenging me.

December 15, 2005 9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home