December 06, 2005

The Still, Small Sound

no music.

I had nothing specific to write about, and no music to inspire me, so i went outside to get my iPod from my car. It was there that i found my musing.

Moments in life come and go. There are significant, character changing events that happen, most often unexpectedly. You'll be sitting in Starbucks drinking a tall Peppermint Mocha with whipped cream on the top (and a dash of the chocolate sprinkle stuff that's curiously contained in a salt shaker) and WHAM, there's one. They come up out of nowhere. But those aren't the moments that are on my mind. I'm thinking of the small ones. The seemingly insignificant ones. They pass quickly and sometimes without notice, but when we're fortunate enough to feel them, it's a wonderful thing.

I had just closed my car door, after retrieving the iPod, and was halfway back to the front door when it hit me. There are certain sounds that push away anything i'm thinking about and bring me to a pause. They're not agressive about it, mind you, but gentle and comforting. I've never been able to figure out why, or when it started. A train's whistle, for instance, or the sound of a single bell chime (especially small ones). The particular sound that drifted on the evening breeze tonight was a windchime. It came from a house just down the street.

The chime, working its magic and giving my soul pause for a moment, brought to my attention the peace of the evening. There were no cars busily motoring their way past (which is a big deal, because it's a well used road), and most people are inside sleeping or performing some other quiet activity. That puts the human interference factor down to a very low minimum. Summer's bugs are gone (thank goodness), so there's no chirping or any other unidentifiable noise coming from an equally unidentifiable insect in that tree over there.

No, there is nothing to interfere with peace. Winter brings with it something that no other season can duplicate, including autumn (which you should all know is my favorite time of year). Stillness. I wouldn't go so far as to say serenenity, but winter evenings are very still. While some begin to miss the busy summer nights, i enjoy this restful time of year. I can either be outside and be part of the quiet, or i can be inside warming up with those i love. It's a win-win for me. It's that stillness that i can not only hear, but feel. It's like i'm a part of it. I don't want to sound weird, but...i don't just perceive it, i experience it. That's what i found outside.

The still, small sound of windchimes on a winter's eve. I was there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home