December 18, 2006

A Letter (Re: Letter From Mrs. Stanton)

To the editor:

Re: Mrs. Stanton's Letter On "Three Small Peaches"

If you wouldn't mind publishing this letter to the public domain, there are a few things I would like to convey to Mrs. Stanton. Perhaps in an effort to defend the priceless and endangered imaginations of her children or at least to correct some of her misunderstandings.

I very much enjoyed the piece in question ("Three Small Peaches"). While I cannot evidentially argue that the author was not witness to any of the events described, I share the opinion with Mrs. Stanton that it is a work of fiction. I do not feel, however, that its fabricated nature should have any bearing on whether or not it is conveyed to children. I believe some of the greatest childrens' stories are fictitious.

"The Ugly Ducklking" for instance, teaches children that true beauty is on the inside. The Berenstein Bears have taught our children(my wife and I have three; two boys and a girl) life lessons on sharing, eating healthy, being responsible and much more. No, bears do not live inside trees with bay windows or dress in sky blue poka-dotted night gowns but the lessons are real.

Even if there is no lesson involved and the story is strictly for entertainment and exercising the imagination, its value is priceless. I cherish dearly the time I have spent reading classic stories with my children. "Alice In Wonderland" and "Treasure Island" are thoroughly enjoyed by our whole family.

I love to see the vibrant imaginations of my children spring forth when they are at play, driven by their favorite stories. It's wonderful to hear them come in from outside and regale us with tales of their many adventures and make-believe places. These same imaginations spawn the dreams that become the future. To stifle or starve them is incomprehensibly detrimental to their hearts, minds and souls.

I shudder to think of the dull, colorless and perfectionistic future you are instilling in your children. I only wish that I could aid them with more than just a letter.

P. Monroe
Tenforth, WA

2 Comments:

Blogger Alyssa Joy Lewis said...

Thank you, P. Monroe.

December 20, 2006 3:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

miss your blog!

January 20, 2007 3:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home