December 15, 2006

A Letter (Re: Three Small Peaches)

To the editor:

Re: "Three Small Peaches"

I recently read your entry about the three peaches on the kitchen table. My husband had read it prior to me and suggested I take a look at it as well. One would think, based on the title, that it would be about common produce or perhaps a recipe. At least that was our first thought. I was appauled to find that it was uninvolved with reality. It was disjointed and precariously lacking both a proper beginning and end.

While I did find it amusing for the first two sentences, to suggest that peaches cannot tell time or that their brown spots are expressions of distasteful inner feelings simply offends me as a self-aware human being. Utter nonsense.

I even felt I could possibly share it with my two boys, based on the title. It's complete fictional nature, however, has caused me to feel strongly otherwise. Were they to hear such stories they would undoubtedly arrive in the kitchen, after getting out of bed, asking how the apples were feeling this morning or why the bananas look so angry. Have you spoken with your grapefruit, mother?

I think not. Such falsities have no place in my home. And to top it all off is the undeniably gruesome end to the main character. To suggest that slicing fruit to eat is equivocable to the murderous act portrayed in your story is beyond my sense of reason.

The next time you write such as tory as this, perhaps you should name it, "A Peach Abandoned By His Two Lazy Companions, Unable to Tell Time, Is Slain." That would be far more apt a title.


Mrs. Joan Stanton
Scramlin, IL

2 Comments:

Blogger Alyssa Joy Lewis said...

I sure hope this letter isn't real. If it is, I'm quite upset about it. Sure, her opinions are to be respected as her own, but I highly disagree. It's a story. It's fiction. How many full written novels have been written that are, if not somewhat then completely, fictional? This is a short story from the imagination of wonderful writer, even if he is an amateur. And I don't if anyone remembers the Rugrats, but thousands (maybe even millions) of kids used to watch it on nickelodeon and still watch it as far as I know. Anyways, the show was about talking babies. Completely fictional! And shows and movies about super heros with powers or toys that move around and stategize when humans aren't around! How many kids want to have super powers or try to catch their toys in the act? I did both when I was a kid. But kids aren't stupid. They grow out of it. It's just for fun! No offense, but I hope she made a fuss over those, too, especially after getting so offended by this one little story about fruit.

December 17, 2006 11:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wouldn't have read this if Alyssa had not told me to do so. Therefore, I'm sorry Adam. I really do enjoy your little stories, I just never get around to reading them. I also don't have the url, so I will have to get it from Alyssa.

Anyway, I'm very curious... is this a real complaint from a woman in the great state of IL, or is this another little piece of fiction by you? Either way, I got upset by reading it. Way to go.

Mrs. Stanton, bashing an amature writer for creating a very imaginative piece of fiction is just (to put it simply) mean. There are thousands of fictitious stories that have been published over the years by many different authors, yet you've just flamed a young man for posting his own "falsity" in his personal online journal. The only person who you should blame for bringing it into your home is your husband, not Adam. And you exposed your two boys to "Three Small Peaches", not Adam. Don't get bent out of shape and start looking for a scapegoat to slap your own hypocritical mistakes on.

An imagination is a great tool to possess in the real world, so do not try to stomp on the little creativity that is left in the youth of today. That's just messed up.

Adam, part of me hopes that you didn't just make that up. If it was just a joke then I will feel like my little rant and flame has gone to waste. If it wasn't made up then... I will feel like a tired, agitated, and unthoughtful meanie. Sweet.

Moo-moo, thanks for showing this to me. It was fun. ^_^

Your little sister who has to go to bed,
Kaylee

December 18, 2006 12:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home