May 21, 2006

The Heavens Opened, And Down It Poured

So i'm downstairs watching Mystic River, a little creeped 'cause i know someone's getting murdered in the beginning. That and there's this scene where some old guy drives off with one of three kids playing in the neighborhood and it's obvious something bad's going to happen. "Oh my gosh," i'm thinking, "what have i got myself into?"

I've got an hour or so before Joe and i get together to get some work done, and i figured i'd plop plop plop plop (sorry, it's just fun to type plop because my right ring finger does a circle and types the whole word by itself) plop myself down in front of the TV to watch a movie. I've seen just about everything else in the house so i fugred, "Blockbuster movie so it'll be gone soon, haven't seen it yet, directed by Clint Eastwood...alright."

I'm about ten minutes into the movie and i hear this crackling sound on the front door (the metal outter screen door). "What in the world could THAT be...hey, wait the weatherman said it could hail today...GASP...IT'S HAIL!!"

I bolted up the stairs and opened the main door.

It was POURING outside. I don't use the word "pouring" lightly when it comes to rain (or any form of precipitation...snow, hail, shoes, eggplant). So for me to not only use the world but capitalize it means a lot. And i say again, emphatically...it was POURING!

There was a terrific mix of those big, fat rain drops and small, pebble-sized hail. It was awesome. Not awesome like "cool" but awesome like "wow". An extatic, excited to see such a beautiful example of God's wonder, stand in amazement, "awesome".

A massive, dark creature of monstrous proportion and appearance worked its way over the neighborhood, pelting it with a wrathful fury of precipitation. Water. Ice. Wind. It hurled enmity with incredible might and indifference. It descended without judgment or care.

The heavens opened, and down it poured.

I just stood in awe...well not quite, i shouted many times out into the storm. "WOOOO HOOOOOOOOOO!!! HAIL!" I love hail.

Once the storm became aware of my presence, it tried sending its arsenal through the screen. I had to move to the back, a hidden place to watch. The deck got a nice layer of ice pellets over its planks, and i collected a glass-full to keep in the freezer, at least until i can show everyone my treasure.

Genuine, 100%, straight from the heavens, hail.

What a beautiful thing.

1 Comments:

Blogger Alyssa Joy Lewis said...

Awesomeness! I want to see the hail from the heavens! I'm excited for Thursday, too! Woo hoo!
I played pool tonight with some friends. It was fun! Tomorrow(monday) and I think Wednesday are Ladies Play for Free Nights! We should all go sometime! you, me, chels, craig Zoooooom! plop plop plop yep still fun! c ya! BAM!

May 21, 2006 11:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home