September 05, 2007

As Yourself

Wow.

God's really been revealing a lot to me these past few days. I haven't the time or the space to type about them all. That, and I haven't told Alyssa yet. And since she's my #2 (second only to God), she is privy to anything personal before you (anyone reading this publicly available information). One thing, however, not being too personal shall here and now be conveyed.

Treat people the way you want to be treated.

Read it again. That's not what it says.

Treat your neighbor as yourself.

AS yourself. So the question is, how are you treating yourself? Because if you're trying to be perfect, you'll treat your neighbor as if they should be too. If you allow yourself room for error and forgiveness when the time comes, so your neighbor will find the same from you. And I've definitely seen this in action. Normally I expect myself to be a certain way and I find that I hold the same expectations to Alyssa and become upset when she doesn't meet them. Today, I forgave myself for screwing up. I gave myself room to breathe, relax, and just be me. And guess how I treated Alyssa? The same way. Treat your neighbor as yourself.

I learned something valuable today.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i've been reading via google reader which is why i haven't commented yet.

but i need to tell you how delighted i am that your blogging again. :-)

September 05, 2007 9:31 PM  
Blogger Alyssa Joy Lewis said...

I love you!

September 06, 2007 7:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have even this night been reading quotes by Antoine de St-Exupery and came across many I like.. this one, fro Le Petit Prince, seemed appropriate. "It is much harder to judge yourself than to judge others. If you succeed in judging yourself, it's because you are truly a wise man."

September 07, 2007 7:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home