October 01, 2005

A Month of Cleansing #1

Comcast's "Singers and Standards" music channel. Just finished up Lena Horne singing "The Surry with the Fringe on Top" and now we're on to Jack Jones with "Willow Weep For Me"

It's just a quiet jazz evening. As much as some people might not call that kind of music "jazz", and maybe they're right, it's the perfect music for such a peaceful autumn's eve. Most people would also not have their windows open when it's 60 degrees outside and slowly dropping, but i'm not really most people now am i? (No...the answer is no.) I'm gracing the left side of the couch with my gray "comfy pants" which are entirely too large for me. Probably two or more sizes above what i need them to be. But, in all honesty, that's part of what makes them so "comfy".

Sarah Vaughan, "It Never Entered My Mind", just in case you want to keep up with the changing music.

Anywho, descriptions of my physical environment aside, today began the month of October, which for me as well as any other true New Englander, is the greatest month of the year. The air gets to that comfortably cool level where you can wear sweatshirts all the time and cuddle up with someone (i have to work on that). The leaves waltz their way through vibrant changes in color, and the smells of burning wood and apples baked into almost everything drift their way on the increasingly windy weather.

Billie Holiday, "You Better Go Now"...Billie has a wonderful ability to reach my soul when she sings.

October is also volume one in an incredible trilogy of months. It begins autumn and apple/pumpkin season, and causes candy accumulation with Halloween. November finishes up the last of the best parts of the fall and hugs us with Thanksgiving. Then December begins the wintry portion of the seasons and fills our mugs with Christmas, the most deliciously myrthful time of year.

In the spirit of this final quarter of 2005, i have decided to make October my "month of cleansing". I will not be eating any meat, not be watching any movies or television in excess; in fact, not at all with the exception of my Tuesday night lineup (Gilmore Girls and House). I'm sure i'll sneak in a movie here and there on some evening after i've spent the day productively. No junk food of any kind, and i will only be drinking water, milk, 100 % juice, and of course, apple cider. Of course, when i go to the Big E tomorrow, i'm sure there will be a few exceptions to that, but it's a special enough occasion to warrant such a distraction.

With hope, i will be able to not only get myself away from all of that junk for a month, but keep it up afterwards as well. I'd like to read some books during this time, and put some more entries into here as i go through all of this. I'd like to keep a record of this month's events. Good luck to me.

Ella Fitzgerald, "I'm Old Fashioned"

That'll be it for now...enjoy the autumn, everyone. Be sure to drink several glasses of apple cider, and eat as much apple crisp as you can.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home